Friday, December 6, 2013

DEAR BOAZ : LOOK CLOSER


                                                       
Wednesday was my birthday and for the first time in my life I was not looking forward to it, because it only made me more aware of the fact that I was getting older and I was still very single any way I managed to get up that morning, and prepare for work, while I was still dressing my parents called and prayed for me, i managed to drag myself to  work, on getting to office there was nothing so spectacular about the day, except Toks seem more on my case.
Tokunbo is my work buddy, my confidante, in fact in short terms he was my best friend, we shared almost everything  including my lunch which I usually brought from the house, he even knew about all my trial and errors in relationships, he even introduced me to two of the guys I dated and made jokes of some of them most times he was around me, he was even the one who adviced me to try a dating website and all. Anyway on my birthday he asked me to dinner to celebrate my birthday quietly with me, I didn’t mind at least I didn’t have a boyfriend to keep me occupied that night so Toks was an option.
   Later in the day all members of staff celebrated my birthday for me it was beautiful and I really enjoyed it.
     The day went quickly and it was already evening and about time for my dinner with Toks I thought of what to wear, I finally decided on my black shimmery dress and purple shoes plus my purple earrings and by the time my make up was done I knew I was beautiful I felt like I had just stepped out of a magazine I felt truly beautiful like I hadn’t in a long time, anyway I went for my dinner on my arrival at the agreed venue, I had to fight to keep myself from releasing a gasp the place was truly beautiful the candle lit and all I was truly in love with the place already, just  then something else took my breath away Tokunbo he had never looked more handsome, I had to quickly gain myself back before things got quickly weird. “so who lent you a suit that left you looking this good this evening?” I asked trying to lighten up the moment “It’s one of the things I inherited from my ancestors, I don’t wear it except for special occasions” he replied, it was one of the reasons I and Toks were friends he had quite a sense of humor,  I gave him a smile and asked again if he used make up because he looked too handsome to be the Toks I knew, he laughed and said he was pleased he’d impressed me that night, we engaged in small talk actually we did a little bit of gossiping afterwards we ordered our dinner, then it was time for desert when it happened, he started adjusting really uneasy in his chair, he looked more nervous than I had ever seen him, he never looked that serious not even when he got into trouble and was called to see our boss, as I sat ther wandering the waiter returned with a package, which appeared too large to be dessert, he dropped the package right in front of me as I opened it my jaw practically dropped it was the most beautifull cake I had ever seen, it was made in form of an engagement ring, next to the cake was a not that simply said “say yes please”
   as I looked up from my note I saw Toks on one knee, ring in hand and for the first time I saw him look so serious “marry me please, I’ve watched you try to find love in the past few months especially and with each time you failed I felt more convinced you were the one, I’ve thought about it severally I love you too much to just keep being friends with you, I want you to become a part of my life, I want to know what it feels like to crack you up when we’re like 60 and when we have a daughter I’ll like for her to have your eyes. Marry me please” honestly in that moment I felt a series of emotions, I wanted to hug him tightly and say YES and let him know that was the sweetest thing I had heard at the same time I wanted to slap him and ask him why he had to wait this long, but I did neither I just sat there and stared long at him before I said” haba Tokkunbo so it was you all along? you knew me long before I even started searching you didn’t even make a move, you allowed me to try them all, you watched become desperate and become nice to every Tom, dick and Harry yet you didn’t ask, I volunteered to go to kano, sokoto and Kaduna on training hoping you were there I dint even mind if you were malo or Boko, you allowed me to be friend zoned severally, you let me do plenty stupid things and even laughed with me over it, I attended weddings with or without i.v hoping I’ll be lucky but no, you’ve been there all, along, I even changed churches hoping if you were not in one you’ll be in the other but no, you even followed me to church to search and all along it had been you, did you actually plan to frustrate my prayer effort? You allowed me stupid things in looking for you harma you even joined me in doing some and it was you all along, okay o. thanks for coming out at last Mr. Boaz and YES I’d marry you” I said smiling, as he slipped the ring onto my finger I knew it was a night I was going to remember all my life and a decision I wouldn’t regret, because with Toks and God in my life I was sure all that lay ahead was bliss, yes we’ll fight and argue, we’ll make fun of each other but more than anything else I was sure all was going to be well and yes for the first time that night I realized how much butterflies I had in my tummy whenever I was him,  just I was too sure my Boaz was a thousand miles away to realize he was the guy at the table next to mine, my trusted adviser and work buddy.
     NOTE: overtime we’ve met a lot of people we get so used to being around them and so we just believe they can’t be the right people we just think the right ones so we’re busy looking a thousand miles away for Mr. right and even enlisting the help of our Mr. right in the search for Mr. right :P. it’s about time you stopped looking too far and look around you, it could be the guy next door or even your lunch partner in the office, a gym partner, e.t.c And no I’m not saying all your close friends are you potential partners so you should date them all, but of them all he could be, all you need do is ask God to open your eyes and give you insight as to who it is and the right thing to do. Trusting that God will open the eyes of every single and especially those of marriageable ages to see and not just be looking around.
       PERSONAL NOTE: Abegii I’m not yet married o! and the story above is purely fictional before my own Boaz will read this article and lemme alone o! p.s: in case you read it I love the way Toks proposed in the story  and wouldn’t mind such also, precisely on my 21st birthday, which is quite years from now, well you can start planning for it from now. : D just kidding though. Have an amazing weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment